[CentOS] Going back to old kernels?

Christopher Chan christopher at ias.com.hk
Wed Dec 12 14:28:24 UTC 2007

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> As the latest 4.5 kernel (2.6.9-55.0.12.EL) is unstable for me (crashes
> about once a day) I want to go back to the rock solid kernel that I had
> before the update (2.6.9-34.0.2.EL). If nothing else then to confirm it's
> not a kernel problem.
> Are there any current packages that might not work with this older kernel?
> As kernels don't get updated but installed the old kernel is still there
> and I would just need to change the grub.conf. Anything else?
> As this is a remote machine I would at least need to be able to login via
> ssh if not everything is ok.

Hello Kai,

May I ask whether the nature of your crashes involve network code?

I have not been getting crashes but the latest kernel has been losing
network connectivity at random times.

The only packages that may possibly not work with older kernels are
packages related to the kernel like iptables or kernel modules. You
should not have to worry about iptables as it has not been updated since
release. I cannot say much else than that since I do not know what is on
your box.