[CentOS] Re: "yum --security" and staying with 5.0

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Dec 12 17:51:54 UTC 2007

> What Redhat is now also going to offer in about 6 months time, is the
> ability for people to just stay within one branch of the release ( so,
> people who installed 5.1 might want to stay within the 5.1 package set
> and not get any enhancements, or bugfix's or package updates - they just
> get a very small subset of security fixs ). And to do that you would
> need to put your machine into a Branch, which will be called
> 5.x.<something>. ( eg. for the entire life of 5.1.* your redhat-release
> file on centos is going to say : CentOS release 5.1.z (Branch) )
>
> If you still dont get it, dont worry - just sit back for 6 months. The
> situation will hopefully clear itself out in that time. There is nothing
> that needs to be done now, and there is no 5.0.* Branch.

I don't see a great benefit for more than a very small subset of users with
this. Most people shouldn't even worry about it. If you need this option, you
probably are already paying a support contract, and your feedback probably got
the ball rolling in the first place.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and