[CentOS] [OT] Connecting to a Windows server via NFS

Jeff Larsen jlar310 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 20:23:02 UTC 2007

> My guess would be permissions on the Windows server, but the test it, I
> have setup "Everyone" to have full control of the share while I test it.
> If anyone has experience with SFU and would be will to give me some
> pointers that would be great.

"Everyone" permissions has no application to NFS shares.

This is more of a Windows issue than CentOS, so feel free to contact
me off-list.

Sorry to ask the obvious, but are you sure you are configuring the
share via the "NFS Sharing" tab and not the "Sharing" tab in the
Properties dialog? They are completely different animals. You don't
specify user permissions for NFS shares other than which hosts have
access and whether or not the root user has access.

If your share is set up right, then I would suspect that your
implementation of User Name Mapping may be incorrect. I'm using
Storage Server 2003 which should be more or less the same as your
Windows box, so I should be able to offer additional assistance with
Mapping if that is the issue.

We access Windows NFS from CentOS all day, every day, so I know it can
be done. Once you are up and running, I would be interested in your
observations on performance. We have occasional problems with
concurrency. While one process is rsync-ing a bunch of small files to
NFS, another machine accessing a different NFS share will get
"permission denied" and the Windows Event log will show "A User Name
Mapping error has occurred" with no helpful details. Still scratching
our heads on that one.

Jeff