[CentOS] "yum --security" and staying with 5.0

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 23:55:35 UTC 2007

On 13/12/2007, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote:
> Amos Shapira wrote:
> > I'll just try to avoid updates for now.
>
> Why? It is *highly* unlikely that 5.1 will break *anything* for you. I
> mean: Those are still the *SAME* software versions as in 5.0. And those
> are the same software versions which will be in CentOS 5.5. Or 5.7.
>
> You will *NOT* get any security updates that way, you are leaving your
> machines vulnerable - and that for *NO* reason.

I just got the impression from the subject in the mailing list for the
last couple of weeks that 5.1 introduced some problems to people who
upgraded. Going through the archive today I see that it looks like all
problems resulted from people deviating from the recommended path
(just "yum update") by having their own kernels or mixing 5.1 with
packages from other sources.

Thanks.

--Amos