[CentOS] OpenSSL binary compatibility between CentOS 4 and 5

Ed Schofield

edschofield at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 00:07:43 UTC 2007

[Re-sending ...]

I would like to ask why upstream and CentOS provide no compat-openssl
packages like Novell does in SUSE.

We are trying to install binaries for gLite (a huge toolkit for grid
computing linked against upstream v4 libraries) on CentOS 5. I was under the
impression that this would be possible because v5 is "binary-compatible"
with v4. But it seems this "binary compatibility" doesn't extend to OpenSSL.
What, then, is the scope of the upstream and CentOS binary compatibility
guarantees? (OpenSSL is not yet in the LSB; is this significant?)

We will probably want to roll our own compat-openssl packages to provide the
relevant libssl and libcrypto .so files, using e.g. compat-openldap as an
example. Is this something we could contribute? It doesn't seem to exist yet
in any repositories linked from
http://wiki.centos.org/HowToContribute/Packages.

Assuming it makes sense to contribute this, we'd want to do it right. Could
anyone outline steps to make the packages secure and compatible? For
example, is it sufficient to roll up the .so files from the CentOS
4.xopenssl packages into rpms and add Requires tags for .so files from
compat-glibc?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-- Ed