[CentOS] Re: OpenSSL binary compatibility between CentOS 4 and 5

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Dec 13 00:27:59 UTC 2007

on 12/12/2007 4:07 PM Ed Schofield spake the following:
> [Re-sending ...]
>
> I would like to ask why upstream and CentOS provide no compat-openssl
> packages like Novell does in SUSE.
>
> We are trying to install binaries for gLite (a huge toolkit for grid
> computing linked against upstream v4 libraries) on CentOS 5. I was under
> the impression that this would be possible because v5 is
> "binary-compatible" with v4. But it seems this "binary compatibility"
> doesn't extend to OpenSSL. What, then, is the scope of the upstream and
> CentOS binary compatibility guarantees? (OpenSSL is not yet in the LSB;
> is this significant?)
I don't think v5 is binary compatible with v4. CentOS only strives for binary
compatibility with the upstream vendor's same release (IE... CentOS 4 with
RHEL 4, etc...) Different versions usually include compatibility libraries to
some older versions. Look at openssl097a rpm. It might have what you need.

> We will probably want to roll our own compat-openssl packages to provide
> the relevant libssl and libcrypto .so files, using e.g. compat-openldap
> as an example. Is this something we could contribute? It doesn't seem to
> exist yet in any repositories linked from
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowToContribute/Packages.
>
> Assuming it makes sense to contribute this, we'd want to do it right.
> Could anyone outline steps to make the packages secure and compatible?
> For example, is it sufficient to roll up the .so files from the CentOS
> 4.x openssl packages into rpms and add Requires tags for .so files from
> compat-glibc?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> -- Ed

MailScanner is like deodorant...