[CentOS] Re: OpenSSL binary compatibility between CentOS 4 and 5

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Dec 13 01:30:14 UTC 2007

Ed Schofield wrote:
> What I'm wondering is why, although most packages have both i386 and
> x86_64 versions visible to my yum client, this isn't true for the
> openssl packages.

in most cases, the backword or compat packages wont be multilib ok, and
are only published for the arch they are hosted in. there are some
exceptions, but this rule is mostly true.

if you look at http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/x86_64/CentOS/
you can see all the packages included in the distro itself, not
including any external repositories, and openssl097a is only published
for x86_64 in the x86_64 tree.

btw, if you primary app is 32bit, why are you even running a x86_64
environment ?