[CentOS] "yum --security" and staying with 5.0

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Dec 13 16:03:56 UTC 2007

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> 5.1 - 18 months
> 5.1.1 - 6 months
> 5.1.2 - another 6 months
> 5.1.3 - another 6 months
> 5.2 - next update release cycle

That is not correct

> the FAQ seems to imply:
> 5.1 - 18 months
> 5.1.1 - 18 months
> 5.1.2 - 18 months
> 5.1.3 - 18 months
> 5.2 - next update release cycle

that is a little more correct, however still wrong.

here is how its going to work.

CentOS-5 Update via 5.1 ( just released )

-- 6 months or so --

CentOS-5 update via 5.2

And a CentOS-5.1 security only update via 5.1.1 ( this will have no
bugfix's or feature addons or enhancements, and there will most likely
be no new ISOS either, were not sure yet. )

-- 6 months or so --

CentOS-5 update via 5.3

And a CentOS-5.1 security only bump via 5.1.2
And a CentOS-5.2 security only bump via 5.2.1

-- 6 months or so --

CentOS-5 update via 5.4

And a CentOS-5.1 security only bump via 5.1.3
And a CentOS-5.2 security only bump via 5.2.2
And a CentOS-5.3 security only bump via 5.3.1

-- 6 months or so --

CentOS-5 update via 5.5

And a CentOS-5.2 security only bump via 5.2.3
And a CentOS-5.3 security only bump via 5.3.2
And a CentOS-5.4 security only bump via 5.4.1

( as you can see redhat expects everyone with 5.1 Branched machines at
that time to just either fall off the face of the earth or reinstall
their machines since the delta between them and the real CentOS-5 will
be so large that an update might actually be the same as a reinstall )

So, as you can see - we only imagine a very small minority of people
actually sticking onto a branch release, while everyone just stays with
CentOS-5

Also, considering we have gone through all this to try get the situation
clear for you, I hope you are going to now create a wiki page that
details the situation and explains it in a way that someone who had no
idea about it - like you did 2 days back, is able to read it and make
sense out of it!