[CentOS] Re: "yum --security" and staying with 5.0

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Dec 13 19:11:35 UTC 2007

Scott Silva wrote:
> If you wanted to re-install every 12 to 18 months, you might as well use
> Fedora! This just seems to go "bass ackwards" to what an enterprise
> distro means. I guess RedHat is just trying to play to a bigger audience
> to maybe boost their revenue stream a bit, which I don't fault them for,
> because a business needs to be in the black to stay open.

you would only get onto that situation of reinstall or major upgrade
every 18 months or so, if you kept getting into the release branches.
Which, honestly, I dont imagine most people will want to do. If you stay
with CentOS-5, you are fine for the normal 7 to 11 years support cycle.
Which is how CentOS always worked as.

yes, the situation is somewhat confusing, however, thats only for the
people who want to break their distro or do their own branching. For
everyone else, its business as usual.