[CentOS] Strange GUI/GNOME Lockups

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 21:54:33 UTC 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 11:32 PM, Jayson Rowe <jayson.rowe at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, a hello to all!
>
> I recently moved to CentOS from Fedora on my primary desktop due to a
> desire to have a highly reliable stable desktop that would be supported
> long term without constant upgrades. I'll keep my laptop Fedora to see
> what's new, but I wanted CentOS to be my ultimate "stable" workstation.
>
> However, since installing CentOS 5.1 I have been plagued by a strange
> problem I haven't seen in ANY other distro I've ran on this PC, including
> a RHEL 5 30 Day Demo that prompted me to install CentOS in the first
> place.
>
> My GUI (GNOME desktop BTW) will randomly have strange little lockups or
> freezes where I can't interact with any windows or use any menus or
> applets. SOMETIMES I can ctrl+alt+arrow to another workspace to free it
> up, but just now I had to ctrl+alt+backspace to free it up. There is
> nothing strange in /var/log or the system logs. It just simply freezes.

Hi Jayson.. what kind of hardware do you have? [CPU, Motherboard,
Brand, BIOS, Video Card, Network Card,etc]

The reason I ask is that I have seen this problem on a couple of 64
bit machines that went away with BIOS updates. It had to do with how
the kernel and video cards talk memory mapping.

Getting the kernel to spit out stuff is usually some settings in
/proc/sys that can be mucked with.. I am a little rusty on those, but
it shouldnt take too much work to get done.