[CentOS] Issues installing x86_64 5.1 on Ultra 40

James A. Peltier jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca
Fri Dec 14 04:32:27 UTC 2007

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> James are your machines Ultra 40 M2's or just plain ol Ultra 40's?
> Ours is the non-M2 model and we had problems with 5.0 as well as 5.1.
>
> However, it appears to be something related to LVM -- specifically
> something the GUI installer is telling LVM to do.  If we manually set
> up the partitions and LVM stuff (from the console while still at the
> welcome screen), everything works fine.  It's only when anaconda
> handles the partitioning and LVM setup that we run into issues.
>
> Interesting.
>
> Ray

They're regular ol' SUN Ultra 40s.  Running BIOS version 1.400 (I
believe) nothing special 2 x Dual Core Opteron 240s running at 2.4GHz
w/8GB of RAM.

When trying to install, my experience nearly mirrors yours perfectly.
Everything is all fine and dandy until it gets about 50% way through
formatting and then throws the ATA errors.  When booting rescue with 5.1
I am able to format the already created LVM volume without issue,
however it fails with the same errors mentioned when kickstarted.

I just performed an install today on a SUN Ultra 40 and the 5.0 trick
worked without issue.  Perhaps something in your BIOS?  Try loading the
default settings and trying again?