[CentOS] Ethernet over USB

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Dec 14 19:29:20 UTC 2007

Krautkramer, John wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it true you can run Ethernet over USB between 2 machines?
>
> I have 2 machines running CentOS 5.0 and a simple type A male to A
> male cable. I don’t see in the network setup gui how to set it up. Is
> there a particular device I should select? What I see relating to USB is:
>
> KL4USB101 USB Ethernet driver
>
> Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver
>
> USB CDC Ethernet driver
>
> These appear to be some kind of hardware other than a cable.

USB is a master/slave interface, only allows one master on the bus, your
PC. those "A to A" network cables are in fact TWO USB slaves, each a
network adapters, one for each side. they typically emulate ethernet, so
what you see there is correct.

not quite sure why you're seeing 3 different ethernet drivers, unless
thats all the same thing by different aliases.

you'll need to configure it just like any other LAN... give each system
an IP address on the same private subnet.