[CentOS] ./configure perfparse -> "configure: error: required library libgd unusable"

Rogelio

scubacuda at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 23:03:54 UTC 2007

I recently had a problem with the configure script from perfparse running
properly so that I could 'make install' it to work with Nagios 2.10 on
latest CentOS 4.x + RPMForge (see
http://readlist.com/lists/centos.org/centos/5/28966.html). Thinking it was a
problem that was a result of "yum remove gd", I formatted the box and
reinstalled everything.
Now, oddly, I still have the same problem, and unlike before (before running
"yum remove gd"), I cannot configure it without getting the following error:

"checking for gdlib-config... /usr/bin/gdlib-config
checking for gdMalloc in -lgd... no
configure: error: required library libgd unusable.
Install required and dependent files and rerun configure.
See config.log or FAQs for details."

The part of the config.log which looks relevant to the problem is the
following:

| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| char gdMalloc ();
| int
| main ()
| {
| gdMalloc ();
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:26962: result: no
configure:26974: error: required library libgd unusable.
Install required and dependent files and rerun configure.
See config.log or FAQs for details.

and in the configure script, this pertains to the error as well

  LIBS="-lgd $LIBS"

else
  { { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: required library libgd unusable.
Install required and dependent files and rerun configure.
See config.log or FAQs for details." >&5
echo "$as_me: error: required library libgd unusable.
Install required and dependent files and rerun configure.
See config.log or FAQs for details." >&2;}
   { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }
fi

Any suggestions?  This was working (in that I could ./configure, just not
"make && make install") before I removed gd, and once I formatted and
reinstalled everything fresh, none of it works. Any help in the right
direction would be greatly appreciated.