[CentOS] Qlogic HBA scanning issues with CentOS 5.1 ?

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 14:34:18 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 2.6 kernels, I always used to issue the commands directly:

1) Find what's the host number for the HBA:

ls /sys/class/fc_host/

(You'll have something like host1 or host2, I'll refer to them as
host$NUMBER from now on)

2) Ask the HBA to issue a LIP signal to rescan the FC bus:

echo 1 >/sys/class/fc_host/host$NUMBER/issue_lip

3) Wait around 15 seconds for the LIP command to have effect

4) Ask Linux to rescan the SCSI devices on that HBA:

echo - - - >/sys/class/scsi_host/host$NUMBER/scan

The wildcards "- - -" mean to look at every channel, every target, every
lun.

That's it. You can look for log messages at "dmesg" to see if it's working,
and you can look at /proc/scsi/scsi to see if the devices are there.

These commands should work with all HBAs, at least I know for sure they work
with QLogic's and Emulex'es.

Hope it helps,
Filipe