[CentOS] After 4.6 update: CUPS (via Samba): "'/printers/printers' no good!"

Steve Snyder

swsnyder at insightbb.com
Mon Dec 17 14:59:12 UTC 2007

Since updating from 4.5 to 4.6 yesterday, I am getting a lot of CUPS
errors.  The error.log file is filling up with these messages:

	get_printer_attrs: resource name '/printers/printers' no good!

And the access.log seems to be being polled often too, even in the absence
of any print jobs submitted.

On my network the CUPS-handled printer is exported from Samba.  Given that
the Samba RPMs were among those upgraded, I have to wonder what
printing-related changes might have occurred.  The hal-cups-utils was
also updated in the course of the upgrade.

I also notice that CUP's ppds.dat and cupsd.conf files have modification
timestamp from around the time I did the upgrade.

Any advice as to how to fix whatever was broken in the course of doing the
upgrade?

Thanks.