[CentOS] take plunge and yum update to 4.6

Jancio Wodnik jancio_wodnik at wp.pl
Mon Dec 17 22:26:21 UTC 2007

Robert - elists pisze:
> Usually I am one of the first ones to do it
>
> I have resisted this time...
>
> It is almost the Holidays and out centos 4 boxes have been online for like 2
> years or whatever
>
> Has anyone boldly taken the plunge on any high use and/or Internet facing
> Centos$ servers and done a
>
> yum update
>
> or a
>
> yum -y update
>
> without any problems at all?
>
> :-)
>
>  - rh

My centos 4.5 box x86_64 went yesterday into 4.6 but it has software
RAID1 (2 IDE HDD - /dev/hda and /dev/hdc), after restart to new kernel
to have an effect - system didn't boot up ...

After some hours later, i went to the server i saw on the monitor screen
only this: GRUB (egh - remote administration)

So i staretd system form second RAID1 disk (/dev/hdc - some tweaks in
BIOS) and system boots up as normal, then i installed again GRUB on
these first HDD (/dev/hda) - fixed MBR and system boot up on first hdd
as normal.

So far - i have these strange problems, but by now everything seems to
be OK. I don't know, what causes this - some nasty BUG in kernel
installation (another i386 machines with software RAID1 went OK)

Irens