[CentOS] Torrent: reminder to use it folks!

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Dec 18 04:24:01 UTC 2007

centos at 911networks.com wrote:
> Why use torrents? With torrents I get around 25Kb/sec.

the port your client is using for torrent should be enabled in any
firewalls (and if you're being NAT, it should be forwarded).   If i'm in
a corporate environment where this is impossible, I'll use a shell
server outside the company network, torrent from there, then rsync-slurp
it at night.

torrents may start slow, but if its all working right, they generally
pick up speed pretty quickly and run at near wire speeds, especially one
as well seeded as this one   they transfer symetrically over the
sockets, sending and recieving data on all peer connections, this can
hammer a network connection, so most torrent clients have a feature to
bandwidth limit (I often choose a number around 60% of the pipe speed)