[CentOS] "multi-boot" drive partitioning

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Dec 18 05:40:37 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:44:38 +1000 (EST)
> "redhat at mckerrs.net" <redhat at mckerrs.net> wrote:
>

>> Have you thought about virtualization ? What hardware are you planning on running this on ?
>>

> It's a new Intel Pentium Core 2 machine.
>
> I don't want to complicate this thing any more than I have to.  I want to be
> able to put this machine in the corner and tell the guy who owns the place
> that if his webserver quits, he can put the spare online and hit "1", if the
> application server quits, put it online and hit "2" and so on.  And 4
> independent and separate Centos installations sounds like the easiest way to
> accomplish that, if I knew how to partition the disk.

the problem with that, any configuration changes, updates, etc on the
live server won't be replicated on the backups.

instead, I think I'd configure -one- OS that stays on, and can run any
one of the application loads on demand (service start mywebappmess).
this way any configuration changes can be replicated to the spare for
each of the servers.   its a simple matter for the server to enable a
different IP on demand.

of course, you could put all thsi under control of heartbeat and have a
real cluster :D