[CentOS] Up2date issue today

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Dec 18 17:21:36 UTC 2007

Jason Pyeron wrote:
> Centos 4 i386
>
> [root at fiftyeight ~]# up2date -u lynx
> There was a fatal error communicating with the server. The message was:
>
> An HTTP error occurred:
> Status Code: 404
> Error Message: Not Found

I have updated the extras now to have the older header info for up2date
... HOWEVER, you are much better off using yum instead of up2date.

up2date is MUCH slower than yum (it works with individual header files
instead of a combined metadata file) and up2date can not use plugins
like fastestmirror or priorities.

Remember ... the part of up2date that el4 uses for RHN is mcuh different
than the part that is used for yum repos like in centos.  It is
basically just a yum-2.0 that is built into up2date ... only it is not
even all the yum-2.0 functionality.  The yum in centos-4 is considerably
better than up2date ... which is why the removed it from el5 :D

If you want a GUI ... yumex is in extras too.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes