[CentOS] "multi-boot" drive partitioning

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Tue Dec 18 19:27:30 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 18 December 2007 14:39:42 Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> > Frank Cox wrote on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:55:49 -0600:
> >> A spare computer that can be swapped in to replace any of 4 other
> >> computers without requiring a lot of setup between "the main machine
> >> died" and "the spare is now online."
> >
> > But what about the data? What is a "web sevrer" or a "file server" worth
> > without the current data?
>
> This was to be my point exactly ... what good does a machine that can
> boot up into a file server with last months data or a web server with
> last months data be if the current server just died?
>
> If you have a backup system in place with the ability to push certain
> directories onto this machine, then maybe.  Otherwise, this seems fairly
> pointless.
>
> A live solution with Virtual Machines and something like DRBD might work
> ... though the machine would by fairly heavily loaded just keeping
> everything updated if live for 4 other machines.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

Here is an idea. Put removable hard drive enclosures into each machine. The 4
working machines have a spare hard drive in and has a disk back up (hard
drive mirror) run nightly. A working machine goes down just take out backup
drive put into spare machine and go.

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)