[CentOS] Getting email from cron when script is run manually

Jeff Larsen jlar310 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 17:24:46 UTC 2007

> Could a previous cronjob be hanging, waiting for the initscript to finish?
>
> I bet the daemon doesn't die as expected sometimes.

Aha! looking at 'ps aux' we have:

crond
/bin/bash /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily
awk -v progname=/etc/cron.daily/gk-restart ... <lots more junk>

All at 4:02 AM which is when cron.daily is processed.

The awk  process is from the run-parts script. So even though my init
script works perfectly from the command line, it seems to be somehow
incompatible with run-parts. I guess that's something to go on. Looks
like I'll need to disect run-parts to see what's happening.

Thanks,

Jeff