[CentOS] Screen blanking crashes

James A. Peltier jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca
Wed Dec 19 19:00:28 UTC 2007

Alain Spineux wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2007 7:09 PM,  <centos at 911networks.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I upgraded a Dell C521 from Ubuntu 6.04 to CentOS5.1. The Dell has
>> an NVidia 6150 analog video card.  The screen is an LG1952Tx.
>>
>> After the screen blanking goes on, and the screen goes to sleep,
>> the screen goes black except for a blue note saying: analog video,
>> invalid frequency...
>>
>> I have installed the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1. Everything
>> works great except for the screen sleep...
>>
>> Any suggestion of what I should look for?
>
> Until you get a better advice you can disable "dpms" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Go into the machine BIOS and reset it to defaults.  I have seen cases
where aggressive BIOS settings have triggered this type of behaviour.  I
have about 150 machines now running CentOS 5.1 from Suse 10.0 using the
same driver without issues.  On a SUN Ultra 40 with an GeForce 8800
Ultra 768MB card we had an issue due to memory interleaving.  Disabling
this fixed it.

--
James A. Peltier
Technical Director, RHCE