[CentOS] Trackerless torrents (was: Can't connect to torrent tracker)

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Dec 20 00:51:39 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 00:32 +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Kenneth Porter wrote on Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:08:56 -0800:
>
> > Perhaps the next CentOS torrents can add the appropriate records to take
> > advantage of this?
>
> AFAIK, there is nothing special about it, nothing to add. A DHT aware
> client just connects to other DHT clients and these again other clients to
> find those clients that have the torrent or parts of it available. It just
> works - if there are clients that already have the file and got it with the
> same torrent file, so the hash matches.
>
> Kai

Ah, yes. It sounds so simple. But I've been perusing the various
references available (bittorrent ones are sparse - no man pages) and if
I want to seed beginning with the ones I've already downloaded, it seems
to get more complicated. Port forwarding through my firewall, generation
and publishing (I currently have no http presence) of a torrent file,
getting one of my computers to the DMZ (I use IPCop and right now all
are in the green zone),... In fact, the /usr/share/doc bitorrent files
say I need to start with a tracker.

I presume this assumes I'm downloading originally. Then, if starting in
tracking mode, how does one switch to "trackerless" or DHT? From reading
some of the refs in other posts, it seems that I would need to be
downloading from a client that supports the DHT schema. Meaning that
when I start downloading, my presence is added to the hash (or is it
routing?) tables and forwarded to peers in the network and I would have
to receive them also. Does the service CentOS is using support all this?
I don't know.

--
Bill