[CentOS] 5.0->5.1 upgrade problems

Andreas Kuntzagk andreas.kuntzagk at mdc-berlin.de
Thu Dec 20 08:07:26 UTC 2007

> >> try running a yum update or a : yum update kernel e2fsprogs,
> >> so they both get updated in the same transaction.
> >
> > Did that - to no avail. Shouldn't package dependencies take care for
> > them to update in the same transaction?

> >> this might be whats causing the kernel package to not get updated..
> >
> > Disabled all yum plugins to make sure, didn't help.
>
> The mirror that you are pointed to is not updated.  Are you pointing to
> your own mirror or the default ones.
>
> This is normally caused when someone has the 5.0 BASE repo and the 5.1
> updates repo.  That _WILL_NOT_WORK_ .... as both base and updates are
> different for 5.0 and 5.1.
>
> You have to point to /5.1/os/ AND /5.1/updates/   ...   can not point to
> /5.0/os and /5.1/updates/ (5.1 as a whole is a tree ... it can not be
> mixed and matched with 5.0.)

AFAIR I never changed the mirror settings after install from DVD.
The lines in CentOS-Base.repo look like

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/

So baseurl is commented out. But changing this does not help.

> If that is NOT the problem (ie, you are using mirrors from our
> "mirrorlist=" list or mirror.centos.org as your "baseurl=" in
> CentOS-Base.repo) then do:
>
> yum clean all
>
> yum -d3 upgrade kernel
>
> That should give you some more detail about the error.

I can't see anything useful:

Reading Local RPMDB
Building updates object
Resolving Dependencies
1198137677.12
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for kernel to pack into transaction set.
kernel-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5. 100% |=========================| 249 kB
00:00
---> Package kernel.x86_64 0:2.6.18-53.1.4.el5 set to be installed
--> Running transaction check
# of Deps = 1
--> Processing Conflict: kernel conflicts e2fsprogs < 1.37-4
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
---> Loop Number: 2
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for e2fsprogs to pack into transaction set.
e2fsprogs-1.39-10.el5.x86 100% |=========================|  25 kB
00:00
---> Package e2fsprogs.x86_64 0:1.39-10.el5 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
# of Deps = 3
--> Processing Conflict: kernel conflicts e2fsprogs < 1.37-4
Error: No Package Matching kernel.x86_64

regards, Andreas