[CentOS] Trackerless torrents (was: Can't connect to torrent tracker)

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Dec 20 12:59:17 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 00:32 +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Kenneth Porter wrote on Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:08:56 -0800:
>
> > Perhaps the next CentOS torrents can add the appropriate records to take
> > advantage of this?
>
> AFAIK, there is nothing special about it, nothing to add. A DHT aware
> client just connects to other DHT clients and these again other clients to
> find those clients that have the torrent or parts of it available. It just
> works - if there are clients that already have the file and got it with the
> same torrent file, so the hash matches.

AFAICT now, at lease an initial successful connection with a tracker,
some time previously or currently, or multiple trackers specified in the
torrent file is needed to initialize everything if the primary (only?)
tracker is unavailable.

So the "special" requirements seem to be at least one successful
tracker-begun session by a DHT-enabled client or multiple trackers
specified in the torrent file to allow "fail over" when the primary
server is down and a DHT-enabled client is making its first attempt.

I'll test (if I can) this in the next couple of days if I don't get
confirmation elsewhere.

--
Bill