[CentOS] Can't connect to torrent tracker

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Dec 20 13:29:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 12:37 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 13:06 +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> > William L. Maltby wrote on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:37:17 -0500:
> >
> > > Anybody know how I can do the equivalent "distributed" for CentOS on 4.6
> > > or 5.1?
> >
> > It's called DHT in utorrent and is indeed working quite nice without a
> > tracker. Maybe there are Linux clients that support DHT?
> >
> > Kai
> >

> Thanks to both Kai and Michael Simpson for the clues to get my search
> started. I yum installed, from rpmforge (big thanks to Dag), bittorrent-
> gui.noarch (4.4.x) and went to
>
>     file:///usr/share/doc/bittorrent-4.4.0/TRACKERLESS.txt
>
> Looks like it might be the ticket. Seems to be supporting what y'all
> called DHT. It says it will not mess with tracked downloads. It supports
> conventional tracked torrents too.
>
> I'm going to give it a try and will report back.
>
> Again, thanks to all for the help, including Florin, John and Johnny for
> the help in initial problem resolution.

And Jim and ... all

FYI: bittorrent-gui from rpmforge is working well on my 5.1 CentOS. My
only complaint is that it seems unfriendly to the GUI-impaired, such as
myself. "MORE DATA", I keep screaming. But that's the nature of GUI and
me.

I see no way to test it without a tracker unavailable unless the CentOS
tracker dies again.

However, the -console and -curses versions seem to support trackerless
operation. If they use the data stashed in ~/.bittorrent/data directory,
I should be able to use the --start_trackerless_client and see what
happens. However, the --help output says this is to download trackerless
torrents. What this implies, I am unsure of. Can the CentOS stuff be
"trackerless" once I've acquired routing/DHT tables?

--
Bill