[CentOS] Problem after crash during yum update

Alfred von Campe alfred at von-campe.com
Thu Dec 20 16:13:45 UTC 2007

I was in meetings most of the afternoon yesterday, so I didn't get a
chance to try Garrick's solution until this morning.  I made the list
of duplicate RPMs, and it contained over 100 RPMs.  It then occurred
to me that I only needed to remove the RPMs that are causing the
conflict to get yum to finish the update.  But then along came
Karanbir's email, and using "package-cleanup --problems" narrowed
down the list even further.  I did an "rpm -q" for each package
identified by "package-cleanup --problems" followed by an "rpm -e" of
the higher versioned RPM.  Then "yum update" worked just fine.

However, I still have a lot of duplicate RPMs installed.  I don't
think I can do an "rpm -e" on the lower versioned RPM, since many (if
not all) of the files are in the newer RPM as well.  Maybe I'll have
to do an "rpm -e --justdb" for each lower versioned RPM to fix this...

In any event, thanks for your help.  This list is great.

Alfred