[CentOS] SCSI bad block table display

Alexandru Chiscan lec at chiscan.dnsalias.org
Fri Dec 21 12:02:53 UTC 2007

Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> Is there a utility available that will allow for the dump/display of
> the bad track table of a SCSI drive. We had this capability on SCO
> OSR5 but I have not been able to locate anything similar for Linux.
> The closest I have found is the badblocks utility that is part of the
> e2fsprogs package but this appears to only test for bad blocks not
> display the current bad block table contents.
>
> I have done quite a bit of searching with Google but either it does
> not exist or (more than likely) I am using the wrong search parameters.
>
> TIA
>
> Regards, Hugh

Hello,

If you are looking for the table which badblocks builds then you should
use dumpe2fs (for ext2/3 filesystem).
man dumpe2fs
DUMPE2FS(8) DUMPE2FS(8)
NAME
dumpe2fs - dump ext2/ext3 filesystem information
SYNOPSIS
dumpe2fs [ -bfhixV ] [ -ob superblock ] [ -oB blocksize ] device
DESCRIPTION
dumpe2fs prints the super block and blocks group information for the
filesystem present on device.
dumpe2fs is similar to Berkeley’s dumpfs program for the BSD Fast File
System.
OPTIONS
-b print the blocks which are reserved as bad in the filesystem.

Regards,
Lec