[CentOS] yum updates

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Dec 21 15:11:47 UTC 2007

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:00:27 -0600:
>
>> --exclude=openoffice\*
>
> shouldn't that be --exclude=openoffice* ?
> At least that syntax is what I use in the repo files.
>
> exclude=openoffice*

Both will work ... the \ means do not expand the wildcard as a command
in the shell (do a google search for "shell expansion" if this does not
make sense :D).  In this case it does not really matter, but if it was
something like this it might:

yum install kernel\*

(if you had a file named kernel-badstuff.i386.rpm in your current
directory and if you only wanted to install things from mirrors and not
your current directory then you would need the \)