[CentOS] 4.6 update overwrote my /usr/lib/python2.3/site.py file

Jeff Larsen jlar310 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 17:05:17 UTC 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 10:29 AM, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 09:53 -0600, Jeff Larsen wrote:
> > We had some custom additions to our site.py file for a third party
> > application. 'yum update' to 4.6 overwrote the file with no backup or
> > warning. Not hard to repair, but it did have me worried there for a
> > few minutes when the application failed to start.
> >
> > Is this a python issue, an upstream issue or a CentOS issue? Can
> > something be done about it going forward?

> Upstream.
>
> Although an application requiring changes to site.py seems suspect to
> me.

Yes, I won't argue about it being suspect. It's not exactly a
mainstream application. But it needs a specific version of zope.

Is there a more appropriate alternative to adding 'sys.path.append()'
in site.py to enable python to find zope? I know nothing of python,
I'm just following vendor instructions (famous last words!).

Jeff