[CentOS] 4.6 update overwrote my /usr/lib/python2.3/site.py file

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Dec 21 19:16:39 UTC 2007

Jeff Larsen wrote:
> We had some custom additions to our site.py file for a third party
> application. 'yum update' to 4.6 overwrote the file with no backup or
> warning. Not hard to repair, but it did have me worried there for a
> few minutes when the application failed to start.
>
> Is this a python issue, an upstream issue or a CentOS issue? Can
> something be done about it going forward?

Only files that are designed to be modified (like config files in /etc/
normally) are protected from updates.

The system does not look for other files as being updated and save them.

If that file is one that SHOULD be modified by customers, then filing a
bug upstream can get them to mark it as a config(no-replace) file ...
but I doubt this file is one that they will change.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes