[CentOS] Re: CentOS-5 Need Help With Serial Ports

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 20:02:47 UTC 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 12:35 PM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

> # setserial -g /dev/ttyS*
> Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument
> /dev/ttyS1: No such device or address
> /dev/ttyS2: No such device or address
> /dev/ttyS3: No such device or address
> #
> # dmesg | grep tty
> Xen virtual console successfully installed as ttyS0

Well my primary guess is that you are running a Xen kernel which
disables the serial tty's for its own 'tty' devices and so that guests
can grab 'real' serial ports. Other items it could be is that the BIOS
has them disabled or that the BIOS has a 'bug' that needs a patch.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/InstallationNotes

Looking at threads referencing this.. you can either have a kernel
where Xen machines can have virtual serial access or you can have
external serial ports.. in the later case you may need to rebuild the
kernel, but you should try first booting with

xencons=off

to see if it lets the other serial ports be seen. If it doesnt then
you will need to rebuild the kernel as per installation notes.