[CentOS] Re: CentOS-5 Need Help With Serial Ports

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Dec 22 21:07:11 UTC 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, James B. Byrne wrote:

>> First stupid question by me :D
>>
>> 1.  Do you really need to be running xen?  (ie, are you doing a DomU
>> also on that machine)  If not, boot the real kernel and you will be set
>>  :D
>>

> There are no silly questions, only silly walks....
>
> No.  I do not require, or desire, a Xen VM or HVM machine.  This is what
> the install of CentOS-5 from CD gave me and as far as I can recall I did
> not have an option to do otherwise.  I will gladly boot to the "real"
> kernel to bypass this nonsense if some kind soul will tell me how to do
> this.  I do not see any non-xen images in /boot, how do I get them?

Most likely "yum install kernel" will get you a regular kernel. If you do
"yum list kernel\*" you will see a list of all of the available kernel packages.

>From there you can pick the one you want. Once you have the regular kernel
running I would do "yum erase kernel-xen" if you are not going to use the xen
stuff. Warning, only erase the xen kernel AFTER you have the machine running
the normal kernel, otherwise you will have a machine that will not boot.

In addition you should edit /etc/grub.conf to make the normal kernel the default.
That way you will not have to select it each time you reboot.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com