[CentOS] Install question

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Sun Dec 23 02:00:52 UTC 2007

<snip>

> My questions are several.
>
> 1) The build hardware is only a single processor with 768MB of memory (also a
> P3) what if anything will I need to do to enable the second processor?  (I'll
> make provisions for a larger swap space at build time)

I believe in CentOS 5, due to the popularity of hyperthreaded and dual
core cpus, the base kernel is smp-enabled.  Someone please correct me if
I'm wrong

> 2) The build hardware won't have a second  disk usable for RAID, is it
> possible to build the RAID as degraded during the install?  Or am I better
> off building it as a non RAID system and transfer everything to a RAID disk
> later?

I would do the latter.  I've not tried building a raid, degrading it and
then using it only to add another disk later, although in theory it could
be done, I believe.

Yes.  Check out cobbler <http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/>

> Any other caveats to be aware of?  My experience with linux has been several
> Fedora (core) releases some Redhad releases prior to that, and many many many
> years ago slackware (when the install was a stack of diskettes!)

Nope.  I think you'll be fine.

Welcome to CentOS!

Barry