[CentOS] Trackerless torrents

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Dec 23 16:57:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 07:42 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 18:20 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> > William L. Maltby wrote:
> > > Ah, yes. It sounds so simple. <snip>
> > > ... In fact, the /usr/share/doc bitorrent files say I need to
> > > start with a tracker.
> > >

> > when the CentOS tracker was down, I fired up uTorrent on a Windows box
> > w/ the 5.1 i386 dvd  torrent, and it managed to find a few dozen peers
> > in a few minutes and pretty quickly was downloading at close to my
> > wirespeed.  Within about half an hour, I was uploading at 60% of my
> > bandwidth and still climbing, and it showed that there were 118 or
> > something available peers, but uTorrent tends to only connect to 30 or
> > so at once to keep the traffic efficient.
>
> Still blissful (ignorance is ...), hit me with a clue bat if I'm way off
> base here.
>
> Now, that makes sense (IIUC the implications of all I've read and what
> y'all have posted). You had already been successfully connected and
> acquired the DHT during previous sessions. I can guess that this would
> be used in place of an (un?)available tracker.
>
> <snip a bunch of guesses and theorizing>

> > i just fired it back up to go ahead and share, I'm seeing 180 seeds and
> > 190 peers on i386, and 116/54 on x86_64...   I'll leave it running for
> > the holidays at least.
>
> I killed the rtorrent for the two 5.1 torrents and started bittorrent-
> GUI on them. All is working well and the rtorrent, delivering 4.6 stuff,
> and bittorrent (5.1 stuff) are playing nicely and sharing the bandwidth
> well.
>
> After seeding for an indeterminate time, I'll kill the GUI and start the
> console or ncurses bittorrent with the --trackerless option and see if
> it uses the DHT/routing and other information that bittorrent seems to
> stash in ~/.bittorrent/data directory. This depends on the presence of
> other active clients, of course.
>
> I'll post backin a day or two.

No go. See my reply, later today, to

    Re: [CentOS] Trackerless torrents (was: Can't connect to torrent
    tracker)

Briefly, with the bittorrent from Rpmforge, which is old, a .torrent
file that specifies a tracker cause the bittorrent to fail if the
tracker can not be contacted.

That other reply includes a compressed "log" of activities and I would
be interested what results other clients give when the same test is
emulated.

> Meanwhile, redundancy anyone?
> <snip>

I'll do an abbreviated emulation of these tests with rtorrent later, but
I expect similar results.

--
Bill