[CentOS] Can't connect to torrent tracker

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Dec 23 17:15:17 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 08:29 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 12:37 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:

> > > It's called DHT in utorrent and is indeed working quite nice without a
> > > tracker. Maybe there are Linux clients that support DHT?
> > >
> > > Kai
> > >

> > Thanks to both Kai and Michael Simpson for the clues to get my search
> > started. I yum installed, from rpmforge (big thanks to Dag), bittorrent-
> > gui.noarch (4.4.x) and went to
> >
> >     file:///usr/share/doc/bittorrent-4.4.0/TRACKERLESS.txt
> >
> > Looks like it might be the ticket. Seems to be supporting what y'all
> > called DHT. It says it will not mess with tracked downloads. It supports
> > conventional tracked torrents too.
> >
> > I'm going to give it a try and will report back.
> >
> > Again, thanks to all for the help, including Florin, John and Johnny for
> > the help in initial problem resolution.
>
> <snip>

> I see no way to test it without a tracker unavailable unless the CentOS
> tracker dies again.

Folks told me how.

> However, the -console and -curses versions seem to support trackerless
> operation. If they use the data stashed in ~/.bittorrent/data directory,
> I should be able to use the --start_trackerless_client and see what
> happens. However, the --help output says this is to download trackerless
> torrents. What this implies, I am unsure of. Can the CentOS stuff be
> "trackerless" once I've acquired routing/DHT tables?

The bittorrent version from rpmforge will not do the tracked CentOS
torrent if a tracker is not available. See my reply to

  Re: [CentOS] Trackerless torrents (was: Can't connect to torrent
  tracker)

The tests outlined in the activity log attached there could be emulated
with other clients to see what they do, if one is interested.

--
Bill