[CentOS] Prelink: Something's happening here

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Sun Dec 23 18:28:54 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> How did the RPM database have the right values for the sqlite3 file before
>>> prelink was run? Or, another way, why was the file different in the first
>>> place, that running prelink against it fixed it? And if "undoing" the prelink
>>> changed something, why wasn't it "changed back" when I ran prelink against
>>> the sqlite3 file the second time?
>>>
>>> Finding this confusing as H__L.
>>>
>>> I have *alot* of files on this system with this issue - I discovered this
>>> while debugging a problem with MailScanner. And, why do I see similar
>>> behavior on another system that's freshly built? EG: just ran the installer
>>> and "yum update" and see the same issue with a smaller number of files?

>We have been in touch with the upstream provider on this ... first some
>issues:
>
>The default prelink setup can take up to 2 weeks to rerun a full
>prelink.  This is due to serveral settings in the file
>/etc/sysconfig/prelink.
>
>So, after an update, it may take up to 14 days for a file to get
>prelinked after it's libraries are updated.  You can manually prelink
>sooner if required.
>
>It seems the only real thing affected by this is "rpm -V".

A minor problem if one is trying to find changes on a possibly
cracked system.

Personally I figure being able to verify a system at any time is
far more important than any possible optimization from prelinking
so remove/disable prelink.

Bill

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:
If it moves, tax it.  If it keeps moving, regulate it.  And if it stops
moving, subsidize it -- Ronald Reagan