[CentOS] problems building appletalk module with new kernel

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 26 01:12:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 16:39 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Dec 25, 2007 3:44 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> > > Do a 'rpm -q kernel' and remove all -xen kernels installed.
> > ----
> > been there, done that...but that wasn't the answer.
> >
> > /etc/sysconfig/kernel was the answer
>
> I somehow had an impression that you originally installed the standard
> kernel and then installed the xen kernel later to "play" with it.
> However, from what you said it is now apparent (to me) that you
> _originally_ installed the xen kernel.  This is because
> /etc/sysconfig/kernel is set up by anaconda at the install time and in
> your case it had the "kernel-xen" defined.  In this case, editing
> /etc/sysconfig/kernel is indeed required because removing the xen
> kernels would not touch that file.  In other words, once set up by
> anaconda, /etc/sysconfig/kernel remains the same regardless of what
> kernel you install or remove at a later time.
----
This system actually had a clean install of RHEL which still had about 6
months of entitlement left and it probably asked me about installing xen
and I failed to grasp the significance of that question/answer at the
time...I don't even recall seeing it.

I have since migrated the system to CentOS 5. I also have done CentOS 5
installations and noticed that the choice of xen install was fairly
obvious, perhaps I learned to pay attention.

In fact, I didn't even check until you had me do the modinfo and then I
ran uname to double check and it smacked me in the face...xen returned
on me for no apparent reason (but the apparent reason was
obviously /etc/sysconfig/kernel) and I learned something.

Obviously the choice of xen install includes not only
the /etc/sysconfig/kernel setting but also the xen support packages I
previously listed.

Craig