[CentOS] Kernel version of Centos 4.6

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 15:32:43 UTC 2007

On Dec 25, 2007 10:25 AM, Peter Gross <pag at nanosec.com> wrote:

> Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > On Dec 25, 2007 7:17 AM, Peter Gross <pag at nanosec.com> wrote:
> >> I have been running Centos 4.5 on one of my servers and have a custom
> >> kernel to handle some hardware issues.
> >
> > Wonder what hardware issues...
>
> I had an Nforce mb with onboard NIC that wasn't working at Gigabit speed
> was the primary reason I custom built kernel 2.6.20-1 if I recall.
>
> So I haven't done a yum upgrade yet because I know I had to custom build
> some packages to work with 2.6.20 and I'm afraid those ones will get
> overwritten.
>
> --peter

Well, that would be a bit of work if you have other packages to take
care of for each kernel update.  I suppose upgrading to CentOS 5 is
not an option for you?  If your NIC is supported in C5, it might be a
better solution in the long run.  I have a couple of nforce 430 +
onboard NIC systems running the C5 distro kernel and they work at
gigabit speed.

Akemi