[CentOS] Natulius CD burner does not accept my 700Mb CD-R disks

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Dec 26 16:11:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 10:03 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> <snip>

> > I didn't notice this before. the entries on the right specify who uses
> > that module. Are they compiled in on your system? Custom kernel? I'd
> > have thought those would show up in lsmod too.
> >
> Everything on this system came from the Centos 5/5.1 repos (5.1 are
> local mirrors).
> > My 5.1 has scsi_mod, sg, sd_mnod, libata and some chipset-specific
> > modules.

I'm almost certain that scsi_mod, sg and sd_mod are needed for all these
scsi operations. The libata is needed by my sata_via driver, so may not
be needed on your setup.

> > It also has, in modprobe.conf alias scsi_hostadapter sata_via. The last
> > is chipset-specific. I don't know if this line is needed at all on your
> > system.
> >
> Well how do I find out?

BTW. Try doing insmod on modules you suspect are needed. Then if one of
them satisfies a dependency, or depends on another module that is
loaded, the lsmod will show that.

Once you have the modules.dep correct (depmod -a?) and have identified
the chipset module needed (*if* any and it's not already loaded), you
can try adding the "alias scsi_hostadapter ..." line specifying that
chipset module. Then whenever the system tries to use something that
requires scsi_hostadapter, the driver for that chipset will be
automatically loaded.

<snip>

--
Bill