[CentOS] Natulius CD burner does not accept my 700Mb CD-R disks

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Dec 26 18:04:49 UTC 2007

Definetly trouble right here in River City...

Joe Pruett wrote:
> so you can read burned disks ok on the drive under linux?

I shut down the server, unplugged the CDRW, rebooted, set up a tail -f
/var/log/messages then plugged in the CDRW and got:

Dec 26 12:43:09 onlo kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 2
Dec 26 12:43:10 onlo kernel: usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Dec 26 12:43:10 onlo kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Dec 26 12:43:14 onlo kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage
devices
Dec 26 12:43:14 onlo kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
Dec 26 12:43:14 onlo kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
Dec 26 12:43:19 onlo kernel: Vendor: HP Model: CD-Writer+ 8200f Rev: 1.0A
Dec 26 12:43:19 onlo kernel: Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 00
Dec 26 12:43:19 onlo kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5
Dec 26 12:43:19 onlo kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw
xa/form2 cdda tray

Then I put in a of pics and movies of my daugther's graduation and the
light on the drive flashes green then red. Nothing.

I move the cd (oh and this is one taken from my disk supply last summer)
and put it into the IDE cdrom reader and that little icon came up on the
top system tray in Gnome telling me that I might want to mount the cdrom
by left clicking on the icon.

Once mounted, I get a CD icon on the desktop and this lets me open
nautilus to the CD. And nothing like this happened with the external
CDRW drive.

Opening a terminal window and issuing mount, I see the /dev/hdc is on
/media/060622_2133 type iso9660

Now lets test all this on the external again...

so I insert the CD and again the light is flashing red.

mkdir /media/cdrw
mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /media/cdrw

and get the response:

mount: No medium found

I am going to dig out my portable CDRW from my notebook backpack (for my
real work notebook that I am typing from now, not my 'corp' notebook!).