[CentOS] boot hangs on trying to start sendmail

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 27 15:03:52 UTC 2007

I am building a new server.  It will be a temporary firewall of sorts.

I am well into the config, made a lot of changes; almost ready to set it
up in the target networks, but now....

The system hangs trying to start sendmail.  I was thinking hard about
disabling sendmail, but thought I needed it for internal functions, so
did not.  yet.

So is there someway to get the system working so I can change something
like disable sendmail?

The system has no cdrom, diskette, etc.  In fact the kybd/monitor
require a special temp setup.  Perhaps I can edit the kernel line in
grub to disable something?

If necessary, I can pull the drive and put it in a system that does
support cdrom.  That is the way I did the initial harddrive install.