[CentOS] Failed to enable keyboard

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 27 16:59:49 UTC 2007

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> I have a set of systems that I have to build that cannot be booted
>> from CD. So I put the drive in another system, do the install, move
>> the drive, and fix the video with system-config-display.
>>
>> But seems perhaps there is another (small) problem. The build system
>> has a PS/2 keyboard interface (and mouse). The target system has NO
>> PS/2 interfaces. Only USB is available.
>>
>> So at boot I get the message:
>>
>> atkbd.c: Failed to enable keyboard on isa0060/serio0
>>
>> What do I do to remove this?
>>

> There does exist a USB -> PS/2 adapter. See if you can procure one
> (colleague, store, etc)
> . Times like these they really come in handy.
I have 1/2 dozen of them. And I get this message when I have one plugged
into the unit and the adapter plugged into my old PS/2 based KVM.
> You should also review the BIOS options for USB Emulation mode. If it
> is off, you should turn it on.
And this system does not give access to the BIOS! There is a lot I would
like to do with the BIOS, like get it to boot automatically at power
restore.

There is no intention that in production, the units will have a keyboard
or mouse. All management will be done via some remote console program
(using VNC for right now). But I have to do the install on a PS/2 based
system. Would like to cut out what is not needed....