[CentOS] MOre on buring ISOs

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Dec 28 05:51:35 UTC 2007

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Correction.
>>
>> I cannot read a CD in this Storix drive. I thought I had recently,
>> but not. I used this drive all the time on this system when it had
>> Centos 4.x installed. Probably the only 4.x system left around here
>> is a Trixbox 2.2.10 install. I will have to test on that tomorrow.
>> But no gnome installed, so it will have to be all command line....
>
> How many CD drives are on that system? If two, can you try to burn a
> CentOS 5.1 or Ubuntu 7.10 disk, boot of that, then play with at least
> reading off the USB drive? Maybe test a store-bought CD and try
> burning a file from the hard drive to the store-bought CD and see what
> happens?
Some more things to try. Meanwhile...

I put the Storix drive on my corp XP notebook. It read a CD fine and I
used ISOmagic to burn an ISO image. Problem with ISO magic is the
freeware version can only go up to 320Mb. And Centos isos are bigger
than that. Meanwhile I am waiting for Helpdesk software support to get
back to me to tell me how to order iso burning software that is
corporate approved....

Next I put the drive on my Libretto running DSL 4.2.1. I have a PCMCIA
USB card in the unit with the Storix plugged into that. With a mnt
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom1 I am able to read a CD with pictures on it.

So far, I have not been able to burn a CD. I get a message from cdrecord
about Read-only file system. Cannot open '/dev/scd0' So I am going to
ask help over on the DSL forum on what Knoppix magic I need...

But this shows the drive works. The problem is either the hardware or
the Centos 5.1 install. It COULD be the server's hardware (an old Compaq
SFF), but my notebook has used this CDRW in the past....