[CentOS] Help with dump/restore

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 28 21:23:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Jeffrey Ross wrote:

> Jon Stanley wrote:
>> On Dec 28, 2007 10:16 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> drive.  Dump tends to be unhappy if the filesystem changes during the
>>> run, so you might be better off using tar.  Also, some tape drives are
>>>

>> Note what Linus has to say on the topic here:
>> http://lwn.net/2001/0503/a/lt-dump.php3
>>
>> Old post, still applies just as well today as it did then.
>>

> And the rebuttal to Linus' view on dump/restore
>
> http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html
>
> However keep in mind, dump will only work on a ext2 or ext3 filesystem.
> To restore the filesystem you have a few methods, if you want to restore
> everything do the following:
>
> cd /newfilesystem; restore rf /dev/{tapedevice}
>

> Jeff

I tried tar, but it complained about some things, so I'm now looking at
rsync.   I want to back up to our Overland LTO3 tape library connected to
the server via a SCSI card.   One filesystem is /home, and the other is
/var.

I'd want to create a full backup, with verbose output, and weekly
incrementals.

Again, files may be in-use during backups - no databases in use at this
time.  I just have to live with the in-use files situation.

What would be the best rsync method to the local lto3 library (full
magazine with 12 LTO3 400/800 GB tapes).

Thanks again.

Scott