[CentOS] VooDoo3 = no joy

Michael A. Peters

mpeters at mac.com
Fri Dec 28 16:49:41 UTC 2007

I posted this in the support forum but I suspect I may have better luck
here.

Old home built PC that has a 3dfx VooDoo3.

When I tried installing CentOS 5 on it - the graphical installer would
freeze just after starting X - but cli install worked just fine. The
failing power supply on the old CRT finally completely died, so I bought
a new Dell flat panel (1908FP) and hooked it up. With a new monitor that
works, I decided to try X and got no joy - same symptom as the graphical
install, completely frozen X display very shortly after starting the X
server.

The box isn't frozen, I can still ssh in - but keyboard/mouse are frozen
(IE impossible to ctrl-alt-FN to switch to a virtual console).

The X log in /var/log/ did not have anything that looked like an error -
so I ran

startx > foo.log 2>&1

and I did get what looks like some error messages - attached as text file.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I may see if I can replace the video card, I suspect finding a video
card for this old style of AGP isn't going to be easy, so I'd prefer to
have a solution to the VooDoo 3 issue.

VooDoo 3 did work with X11 in Fedora Core 6 - the OS I ran before
installing CentOS 5.

CentOS install is up to date, only CentOS packages that have replaced by
non CentOS packages are sox and php (and yes, I'm certain of that).

Thanks for any suggestions.