[CentOS] nForce 630i Chipset, unable to get integrated nic working

David Levinger

iskondi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 23:30:34 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

I've also posted this onto the Network support forums but figured I'd shoot
it to the mailing list as well.

I recently purchased a ECS GF7100PVT-M motherboard and now I'm wishing I'd
investigated driver support a little better before I did! I was able to get
Centos 5.1 XEN Kernel installed but have been having a helluva time getting
the on board NIC going. The MB is running a nForce 630i chipset and has the
nic card listed as a Realtek 8111B. I've downloaded what I believe to be the
latest Realtek drivers and if I do an lsmod I can see the r8168 module
present. I've tried adding the line alias eth0 r8168 to my
/etc/modprobe.conf file but it hasn't gotten me anywhere, I've also tried
with Nvidia's forcedeth module to no avail.

Does anyone have some ideas of what I could try next? Do I need a newer
version of the forcedeth driver? Is this chipset not going to work with
Centos 5.1? Is it a Xen related issue?
lspci shows "Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07dc
(rev a2)"

Any thoughts/pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David