[CentOS] display resolution

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Sun Dec 30 17:23:55 UTC 2007

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, dny wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2007 11:09 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>>
>> Now, there's your problem :-)
>>
>> OK, I am just kidding.  Do what ralph said and run system-config-display
>>  from the command line.
>>

> that's not installed with kde.
> so i installed it with yumex.
> run it. set my monitor and my resolution both as 1024x768.
> startx. and i got blank screen.
>
> replace xorg.conf with the backup to get back to my old low resolution.
>
> anything else i can try out?

Within X, if the resolution doesn't produce a picture, try CNTL-[minus
sign] and/or CNTL-[plus sign] to switch among resolutions and refresh
rates.

If all else fails, try CNTL-ALT-Backspace to break out of X.  Sometimes
that will help, other times you need to visit CNTL-ALT-F1 for a tty
session for additional troubleshooting.

Hope that helps.

Scott