[CentOS] ISO burning challenge -- pilgrims progress

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Mon Dec 31 14:53:35 UTC 2007

It's to bad you couldn't continue the prior thread. Would have been
better to have everything in one thread.

   http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-December/091666.html

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 00:04 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> First the Storix drive works just fine under DSL 4.2.1 on my Libretto.
>
> So the drive is fine, the media is fine.  And cdrecord on DSL reports
> the media to be
>
> Manuf. index: 27
> Manufacturee: Prodisc Technology Inc.
>
> I have all of ONE system with Centos 4 on it.  A Trixbox 2.2; I added
> cdrecord and found that I could burn the iso image ONLY by including the
> -force option to get around the "cdrecord: Cannot get disk type" error.
>
> So I moved back to the Centos 5 system.  I had to add the speed=4 (when
> the unit supports speed=8) along with the -force to get it to burn a iso
> image (btw, timeout=100 does nothing.  The failure is in a few seconds,
> adding to the timeout changes nothing).  There are a number of timing
> errors on the Centos 5 system.  Even the Centos 4 system had a SCSI
> error (0x7000).
>
> I did find ONE mention of "cdrecord: Cannot get disk type":
>
> http://crashrecovery.org/oss-dvd/Changelog.html
>
> but that is dated 2/2/06.  One would think it is fixed in Centos 5.....
>
> I have NOT gotten the HP CDRW working yet, that is the one I want to
> leave on the server, as the Storix is my traveling drive.   More work.
> Any pointers gladly taken!
>
> I REALLY want to move my CD processes to Centos.  I want a GUI interface
> and want to rip and burn music CDs as well.....

I reviewed all in my sent box and went to the archives to find the start
of thread that I had not saved. I don't have any more ideas, but did
find one erroneous statement I made.

    >From days past on LFS, when I was very active and less removed from
     the professional activities, I can say with certainty that the
     sr_mod and ide_cd are for the plain old cd-rom on your IDE channel.
     They are not required for the usb stuff.

The sr_mod *is* needed and I didn't see it in your lsmod output
(probably because I said it wasn't needed?). It is needed. My confusion
was from the fact that I was using the ide cdrw I had at that time as
both scsi and with the newer (at that time) cd stuff that was part of
Linux.

Anyway, see if an lsmod shows sr_mod. It probably does or the mods that
depend on it should fail to load, or at least they should give error
messages. Never mind! In a later post you show lsmod output and sr_mod
is there.

I see ide_cd is loaded too. IIRC, you do have one? Not to seem to
foolish, but I don't recall seeing you use cdrecord with a dev=
parameter. Any chance that the system is accessing the wrong device?

I went through each post in the archives in the thread and, using
Firefox's search feature, didn't see a post where you showed a "dev="
being used with cdrecord. Maybe it's worth a try. Putting a written disc
in the ide one should provoke an automount. Then a mount command would
show what device is mounted. Then an ls would show which symlinks are
pointing to that device. Then you could try cdrecord with a different
one to make sure the correct one is accessed.

Presuming that you tried all the things people mentioned in the other
thread, the only course I see now is to make sure that the
"configuration" on this box matches what is on the others as closely as
possible. What modules loaded, /etc/cdrecord.conf, symlinks (allowing
for multiple devices or not multiples), GUI config set up correctly
(which device), ...

The scsi stack needed hasn't changed much in the last few years, as has
not the devices used, config files used, ... The major variables I
(guess I?) see are multiple devices (opportunity for confusion), USB 1.2
(?), configuration files and related, hardware status (good vs.
failed)...

Have you, using the same cable and usb port, tried another device?

A reading of Schilly's docs and man page might suggest something we have
overlooked.

> <snip sig stuff>

Forrest Gump: "That's all I have to say about that".

HTH
--
Bill