[CentOS] Firewall frustration

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Mon Dec 31 15:09:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 09:33 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Peter Farrell wrote:
> > "Problem is I want a REAL router/firewall with little work."
> >
> > Run a smoothwall installtion and replace your CentOS install.
> >
> > http://www.smoothwall.org/
> >
> well first challenge is my unit's USB ethernet dongles. Centos uses the
> RTL 8150 driver for them. Smoothwall only lists the RTL 8129, 8139, and
> 8169...

I've used this at home for years. I don't know if it's suitable, but it
seems *very* flexible. Allows for NAT or not, has typical zones,
reporting, IPTables modification support, ...

   http://www.ipcop.org/

Has run/tested successfully on various configurations here. It's another
"ditch your CentOS" solution though. But you can put it on any old junk
laying around and it'ss probably work. Using cable modem in the boonies,
486DX/66 gives about 450KB/sec, Pentium 200MHz pci gives <= 700MB/sec -
both from decent sites. Tested using both ISA and PCI bus adapters
through both twisted pair and thin coax.

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill